For Texas Freshwater Fly Fishing's first After Trip Sip post, as series we will dedicate to Cocktail Recipes for Fly Fishermen, I decided to start with a wintery spin on THE classic cocktail. Here is my recipe for a Brown Sugar Old Fashioned.
1 teaspoon of Brown Sugar
Blackland Bourbon Whiskey (or your favorite Bourbon)
Luxardo Cherry (or other cocktail cherry)
1) Put about 1 teaspoon of brown sugar into your glass, then splash the brown sugar with 1-2 dashes of orange bitters and 1-2 splashes of Angostura bitters.
2) Cover sugar with just a splash of clean water (minimal amount) and muddle/mash the sugar, water, and bitters mix until the brown sugar dissolves.
3) Add your ice cube(s) into the glass.
4) Add in two ounces of Blackland Bourbon Whiskey. You can use a rye, but I prefer bourbon whiskey in this specific old fashioned.
5) Cut a strip of orange peel, flame it (hold a lit match or lighter between your orange peel and the glass, fold the orange peel in half to release some oils, you should see the oils light up and squirt toward the drink), wipe the rim of the glass a couple times with the orange peel, and then drop the orange peel into the drink.
6) Gently stir your Old Fashioned and then garnish with a Luxardo Cherry.
Enjoy slowly while y'all talk about and laugh at all the fish you did (or didn't) catch!
Peace out-side, y'all!